Winter is in full swing and nothing warms us up more than a hot cup of CBD Peppermint Hot Chocolate. This version is smooth, creamy and rich.
Prepare to throw out your old hot cocoa packets and try this creamy homemade recipe!
Origins of Hot Cocoa
The Mayans were the first to make a chocolate drink from ground up cocoa beans that were mixed with cornmeal, water, and chili peppers. This drink was drunk cold, after being passed back and forth from a cup to a pot until the foam was formed.
By the 1500s, chocolate (and the tools for making it) reached Spain and began gaining popularity. King Charles V grew a liking to hot cocoa and it was an instant sensation among the upper class. As time went on, the recipe changed. Chili peppers were no longer used, the brew was heated up, and the bitterness was sweetened with sugar.
In the 1700s the trend of chocolate houses (similar to coffee shops in the US) started in London, England. It wasn’t until the end of the century that Hans Sloane, a physician in England, brought back a milk-based version from Jamaica. The masses who experienced this variation found to be more pleasing to the pallet, which sparked a new trend. Adding milk to the melted chocolate was the newfound way to make hot cocoa.
Modern Day Hot Chocolate
in the 18th century, the Dutch created Cocoa powder during their reign in the chocolate trade. The powder was much easier to mix into the milk, therefore resulting in new and interesting creations. This resulted in the invention of milk chocolate, which is a simple combination of cocoa butter and sugar.
CBD Peppermint Cocoa Ingredients
Peppermint Hot Cocoa:
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 oz finely chopped semi-sweet (or chocolate chips)
- 2 full droppers No High Peppermint CBD oil tincture
Cocoa Whipped Cream:
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- ¼ cup powder sugar
- 2 tbsps of unsweetened cocoa powder
- To begin the peppermint cocoa, put a medium saucepan on medium heat and place the cream, milk, and salt inside.
- Stir the milk as it heats, making sure to scrape the bottom to prevent scorching of the milk. Bring the whole mix to a simmer. Bubbles will begin to form along the sides of the pan.
- Once the pan has begun to simmer, remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Whisk everything together until the chocolate has entirely melted and smooth.
- Whisk 1/2 teaspoon of No High Peppermint CBD oil tincture, and taste. Add more to your tastes as needed.
Cocoa Whipped Cream
- Combine the heavy cream, powder sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder into the mixing bowl.
- Whip the ingredients on medium-high speed until medium peaks begin to form
- Serve the hot chocolate warm
- Add a dollop of cocoa whipped cream
- Enjoy your CBD drink!
Feel free to leave a comment below on how much you love this recipe. You may also join us on our CBD Oil Chat Facebook group and Reddit channel!
Check out our other CBD recipes: