You will fall in love with this delicious and creamy Holiday CBD Eggnog Recipe. Thick and creamy consistency, light flavor, and a hint of nutmeg. What makes this concoction better than the mass-produced eggnog at the store is the fresh ingredients that heighten the holiday experience.
The historians of culinary history debate the actual lineage of eggnog. Historians believe eggnog derives from the British drink called a “posset.” A “posset” is an early medieval drink that was a hot, milky, ale-like drink. In the 13th century, monks drank the concoction with eggs and figs. Items like milk, eggs, and sherry wine were only available to the rich. Eggnog was considered to be a sign of prosperity since its ingredients were mostly made up of these.
Eggnog wasn’t part of the holiday tradition until the 1700s when early American colonies began making it. Eggs and milk were plentiful due to the mostly farm economy at the time. Cheap rum was also more available, making it the first liquor mixed with eggnog in North America. The etymology (the study of the origin of words and how their meanings have changed throughout history) of the word “eggnog” is still unknown.
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 pint whole cream
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 full droppers of natural flavored CBD or 3 oz bourbon
- Two Mixing Bowls
- Hand Mixer
- Step 1: Set up a standard mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until they become lighter in color. While continuing to mix the mixture, slowly add the 1/3 cup of sugar into the mix until completely dissolved. Next add milk, cream, bourbon (if using) and nutmeg. Then stir to combine.
- Step 2: In a separate mixer bowl, place egg whites and beat into soft peaks. While mixing, slowly mix in 1 tablespoon of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Step 3: Whisk the egg whites into the mixture.
- Step 4: Add two full droppers of the natural flavored tincture.
- Step 1: Set up a standard mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until they become lighter in color. While continuing to mix the mixture, slowly add the 1/3 cup of sugar into the mix until completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Step 2: In a medium saucepan, turn the heat to high. Combine milk, heavy cream, and nutmeg. Bring to just boiling while stirring occasionally. Once boiling occurs, remove from heat. Gradually temper (mixing in slowly) the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Step 3: Once thoroughly mixed, return the entire mixture to the medium saucepan. Cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon (if using), pour into a medium mixing bowl. Set into the refrigerator to chill.
- Step 4: In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites into soft peaks. While the mixer is running, slowly add the tablespoon of sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Finally, whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.
Check out our other CBD recipes: